Thursday, January 10, 2008

Just A Friendly PSA

CJ and I have always joked that we will know we've 'made it' if we saw our skins ripped off....well, looks like today is the day! Caliah Lyon IMd me to let me know that she was sure someone was selling some of our Vivant skins under their brand name. She had received the tip off from Teagan Blackthorne. We have confirmed that they are indeed our skins and we identified skins by other content creators as well. I just want to take this time to thank Caliah and Tegan for tipping us off and to ask all of you to please follow their good example. If you see any content that you think may have been ripped off, please do not contact the suspected thief directly and do not blog about it. The most helpful thing a person can do is to contact the creator that is being stolen from and allow them to assess the situation. This prevents innocent parties from being falsely accused as well as allows the content creator a chance to gather information about the possible thief before they can be scared away. And by the way, for those of you that think you are getting a deal by buying stolen goods, think again, the our stolen skins were being stolen for twice the price of what we charge!

8 comments:

Anessa Stine said...

I just encountered the exact same situation with Minnu Model Skins! I documented the whole thing here with photos... http://www.flickr.com/photos/anessastine/sets/72157603677596773/

If enough of us are livid about the situation, maybe Linden Labs will finally step in and protect original content creators... maybe.

Please,nobody buy these rip-offs!

SySy Chapman said...

/me hates these thiefs. GRMBL. I just gave away all my textures i sold before, just to nag the rippers who stole them and sold them for more then double my price. But indeed: you've made it :D! ;)

Scarlett Niven said...

Thanks for alerting us to this Ros...hopefully LL will do something about this every growing problem...One thing they can never copy is your class...:-)

Samara Barzane said...

As far as I am concerned you and CJ "made it" long before this rip-off. Your quality, attention to detail and fair pricing put you two in a class by yourself. I'm just sorry you have seen your "children" abused in such a way.

Polly Pavlova said...

Welcome to the "My skins have been ripped off club", Every member gets a gold plated copy of a DMCA report (its in the mail :P)

Tuli said...

Oh damn, I'm sorry guys, that sucks =(
I found out today that my skins have been ripped off too, they used most of it with a few parts of (looks like) an older skin of Naughty. Badly done too, and more expensive.
Not sure whether to contact the thief first or just go ahead with a dmca...

Roslin said...

Tuli- Well, we have a few friends who have been ripped off, they suggested we just file a DMCA since confronting the party may lead to harassment. We were 100% sure ours were ripped off so we didn't feel like we need to ask questions or clarify. I'm not afraid of the time he's making in the meantime, we are just doing the dmca for the principle of it all.

Nicky Ree said...

yikes!, I just found out about the theft. I am so fedup with the thefts and rip offs that have been occuring lately.... Yes file DMCA.

*hugs*