Thursday, March 13, 2008

It's Meme Time Again

Our lovely assistant Samara Barzane decided to tag me with the meme of the week. Apologies to her for taking my time to respond but here it is at last.

The Rules:

1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
2. Open the book to page 123.
3. Find the fifth sentence.
4. Post the next three sentences.
5. Tag five people.

It just so happens that I have one of several bookcases within reach of my desk. I chose my favorite book off of the shelf that was closest to me, Dick Hebdige's Subculture: the meaning of style. It's a pithy little book that utilizes several forms of academic analysis(<3 semiotics) in the exploration of several post-war, music-centered subcultures in the UK. *takes a breath*

"As such, punk style was perhaps interpreted by the teddy boys as an affront to the traditional working-class values of forthrightness, plain speech and sexual puritanism which they had endorsed and revived. Like the reaction of the rockers to the mods and the skinheads to the hippies, the teddy boy revival seems to have represented an 'authentic' working-class backlash to the proletarian posturings of the new wave. The way in which is signified, via a magical return to the past, to the narrow confines of the community and the parent culture, to the familiar and the legible, was perfectly in tune with its inherent conservatism."



I'm going to try to tag some people and ask that they forgive me if they have already been tagged. I have a hard time keeping up with this sort of thing.

I tag:

Dot Lane
Kit Maitland
Adri Saarinen
Achariya Maktoum
Grazia Horwitz

3 comments:

Auntykuro said...

Oooh, that looks like a GREAT book. I'll pick it up!

Dot Lane said...

Done and done!

http://dotlane.blogspot.com/2008/03/as-easy-as-1-2-3.html

Roslin said...

oh yay, thanks for keeping the meme alive Dot. Can't wait to read what you have to say!